Recent Fire Damage Posts

Safety Tips when using Candles in Moorhead

11/10/2020 (Permalink)

red candle on kitchen counter When fire damage strikes, trust SERVPRO of Moorhead to help make it "Like it never even happened."

Although fires from candles happen more often around the holidays, many people use candles all year round. SERVPRO® of Moorhead wants you to be safe from fire and smoke damage. It is important to be careful any time you have an open flame in your Moorhead home. 

Fire Prevention is the best way to fight against fire damage or injuries.

SERVPRO of Moorhead offers these Tips for Fire Prevention from Candles:

  • Do not let children near candles
  • Keep trees and other plants away from candles
  • Make sure candles are not near window curtains or blinds that could catch fire
  • Keep lit candles in safe candle holders
  • Do not leave children alone in a room with lit candles
  • Do not light candles in the bedroom. You might fall asleep. One-third of all candle fires start in the bedroom. 
  • If the power goes out, use flashlights instead of candles
  • If someone in the home uses oxygen, do not use candles
  • Fire damage from candles happens 35 times a day in the U.S.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can catch fire
  • Put out candles when leaving the room or going to bed

A little caution goes a long way to protect you and your loved ones. If you have to deal with damage caused by smoke or fire from a candle in your Moorhead home, your friends at SERVPRO of Moorhead are just a phone call away. 

SERVPRO of Moorhead is independently owned and operated. 

Links:

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/ 

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Top-causes-of-fire/Candles

https://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/public-education/resources/safety-tip-sheets/religious_candles_safety_tips.pdf 

Fried Turkey Fire in Hawley?

11/9/2020 (Permalink)

A man is shown placing a turkey in a boiling vat of oil. We respond to fire damage emergencies 24 hours a day in Moorhead!

Turkey Fried Blues

This guy in the picture has the right idea. He has gloves on, and he has the turkey fryer set up outside of his home on nonflammable rocks. But the turkey is not completely thawed, he has way too much oil in the fryer, and he is way too close to that wooden fence behind him. Uh oh, I have a feeling this guy is going to be visited by emergency responders soon! SERVPRO® of Moorhead has seen firsthand the property damage that turkey fryers cause, and we have been restoring fire damage in the Hawley area for years. Our team of highly trained technicians is on call 24 hours a day, every day, and oftentimes we work alongside the first responders in fire damage situations.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), in 2017 there were 1600 reported home cooking fires on Thanksgiving. The NFPA strongly discourages the use of turkey fryers because they can cause severe burns, injuries, and property damage. They recommend forgoing the home turkey fryer and getting a fried turkey from a grocery store, restaurant, or other food retailer.

Call Us!

SERVPRO® of Moorhead has the training and experience to safely restore fire damage emergencies of all kinds. Call us today at 218-236-7447. We will clean and restore your property damage in Hawley, “Like it never even happened.”

SERVPRO® of Moorhead is Independently Owned and Operated.

Tips to Prevent Kitchen Fire in Moorhead

10/22/2020 (Permalink)

woman with kitchen fire When fire strikes, SERVPRO of Moorhead is Here To Help.

SERVPRO of Moorhead understands that cooking equipment is a leading cause of fire damage and fire injuries in your Moorhead home.

To help prevent fire damage, SERVPRO of Moorhead shares these tips. They make more sense than not cooking at home.

  • Many kitchen items can catch fire, including: dish towels, oven mitts, recipes, wooden tools, and loose clothing
  • Never operate the stove or oven when you are tired or have been drinking alcohol
  • If you are frying, broiling, grilling, or boiling food, stay in the kitchen. If you leave, even for a short time, turn off the heat
  • Keep flammable items at least three feet from the stove top
  • Do not allow children within two to four feet of the stove or oven
  • If you must leave the house while cooking of any kind, turn off the heat sources

Remember that fire is fast. If you cannot contain a fire immediately, leave and bring everyone with you. Call 9-1-1 from outside your Moorhead home.



SERVPRO of Moorhead reminds you that fire prevention is the best strategy against fire damage. 

SERVPRO of Moorhead is independently owned and operated. 

Links:

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/ 

Safety Tips when using Candles in Moorhead

10/1/2020 (Permalink)

Candle sitting on a kitchen counter. Enjoying a beautifully lit candle is relaxing. Cleaning up smoke and fire damage is not. Practice safety while using candles.

Although fires from candles happen more often around the holidays, many people use candles all year round. SERVPRO of Moorhead wants you to be safe from fire and smoke damage. It is important to be careful any time you have an open flame in your Moorhead area home. 

Fire Prevention is the best way to fight against fire damage or injuries.

SERVPRO of Moorhead offers these Tips for Fire Prevention from Candles:

  • Do not let children near candles
  • Keep trees and other plants away from candles
  • Make sure candles are not near window curtains or blinds that could catch fire
  • Keep lit candles in safe candle holders
  • Do not leave children alone in a room with lit candles
  • Do not light candles in the bedroom. You might fall asleep. One third of all candle fires start in the bedroom. 
  • If the power goes out, use flashlights instead of candles
  • If someone in the home uses oxygen, do not use candles
  • Fire damage from candles happens 35 times a day in the U.S.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can catch fire
  • Put out candles when leaving the room or going to bed

A little caution goes a long way to protect you and your loved ones. If you have to deal with damage caused by smoke or fire from a candle in your Moorhead home, your friends at SERVPRO of Moorhead are just a phone call away. 

SERVPRO of Moorhead is independently owned and operated. 

Links:

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/ 

https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Top-causes-of-fire/Candles

https://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/public-education/resources/safety-tip-sheets/religious_candles_safety_tips.pdf